Search This Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Birthday of Snoopy Voice Actor Coincides With Release of 'The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show'

 

  In this Feb. 18, 2000 file photo, Peanuts animator Bill Melendez is seen here in his Sherman Oaks studio in Los Angeles. Melendez, the animator who gave life to the Peanuts characters in scores of TV specials and movies, including holiday classics such as "A Charlie Brown Christmas," died Tuesday Sept. 2, 2008 in Santa Monica, Calif. (AP Photo/Nick Ut)

Fellow long-time fans of the vocalizations of everyone's favorite beagle Snoopy will share my joy in learning that today is the birthday of the late Bill Melendez, who provided Snoopy's voice from 1965 to 2006. These projects ranged from the 1965 genuinely iconic "A Charlie Brown Christmas," which will find its way into my DVD player in the next few weeks, to the Emmy-nominated 1983-85 Saturday morning series "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show."

Melendez also produced these classics and every other fondly remember Peanuts special. I still look forward to "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" every year and have great fun claiming that I received rocks instead of candy trick or treating.

The good folks at Warner Archives co-ordinated the DVD release of "Charlie Brown and Snoopy" with Melendez's birthday. Anticipation of receiving my copy has had me Snoopy dancing all week, and I look forward to sharing my thoughts on it next week.

Anyone who wants to share their memories of the Peanuts specials, and particularly anyone else who had the Snoopy electric toothbrush that I loved as a child, is encouraged to email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment